Saturday, May 09, 2009

noodle news

Bit of a noodle crisis at Halibut Towers: not only have I run out of the first choice Nong Shim Korean noodles, I've also run out of the excellent back-up Sutah Ramen noodles. So while I'm waiting for my latest consignment of internet noodles from Wing Yip to arrive I've had to take a plunge into the unknown and one of the random selection of packets I picked up on my last trip to Kin Yip Hon in Bristol.


These particular ones are made by Nissin Foods, who, crucially, are Japanese rather than Korean. Possibly because of this they're quite different from the two previous brands: only the one sachet in the pack, containing the powdered soup base (i.e no dried vegetables like you get with the Korean ones), and the soup is much paler and less red then the Korean ones, which suggests it's not going to be nearly as fiery, and so it proves. It's a bit watery, actually, as well as being rather salty. The noodles are slightly thinner, as well.


Verdict: well, there's nothing wrong with them, but they're not in the same league of dangerously chilli-laden deliciousness as the Korean noodles. Those are a meal in themselves; I'd suggest if you were going to make a habit of eating these you might want to use them as a base for adding some extra ingredients to as they're a bit bland on their own. On the other hand, the soup base does bear the splendid name of Yuk See Mein, so it's not all bad news.

No comments: