Sunday, October 26, 2008

so much for the diet then

We went to the Cowbridge Food and Drink Festival yesterday (that's my hand-stamp pictured on the left, which cost me the princely sum of £2.50). More stuff to get the ardent foodie salivating than you could shake a stick at, but here's a few things I either sampled or bought:



Some crazy green cheese from the Snowdonia Cheese Company. This is called Green Thunder and it's garlic and herb flavoured. Excellent for melting on top of things - I'm sure you can tuck into it in its raw form as well, but I'm unlikely to be doing so for reasons documented here.


Various chutneys and salad dressings from Gilly's Foods. We had some of their balsamic dressing/marinade from the food festival we went to in Cardiff Bay back in the summer, and it's very good.


Some organic mutton from Elan Valley Mutton. Don't be concerned by the references to long slow cooking on the website - I griddled the couple of leg steaks we bought for 5 minutes, tops, still pink in the middle and all, and they were tender and delicious.

After all that shopping I was gasping for a pint; luckily there was a handy beer stall run by the Warcop brewery close at hand where I was able to get a pint of Tanners Ale, and very nice too. The brewery is properly local, too; it's in St. Bride's Wentlooge, between Newport and Cardiff. I trust they don't get their water directly out of the Usk or the Severn Estuary, or at least not without sieving the dead dogs and poo out of it first.

Keep up with the exciting goings-on in Cowbridge by checking out their webcam. And remember: if you see anyone getting murdered, it's probably best to phone the police.

No comments: