Thursday, March 15, 2007

ambient keyboard odyssey, anyone? please yourselves.....

I forget exactly by what sequence of random clicking I came across this the other day, but I remember thinking it was unlikely there'd be two people with the same name, and sure enough I was right. Get to the point, you say? Well, OK, then. Robert de Fresnes is a respected modern keyboardist and composer who released a couple of albums of what would these days be called something like "ambient electronica" in the late 1990s, and more recently has been getting involved with the more dance chart-oriented end of things - well, you've got to pay the bills, haven't you?

The point, and the reason I mention all this, is that I was at school with this bloke for a year back in the early 1980s - specifically school year 1981-82 - at The Becket Comprehensive in Nottingham, and I remember him very well. Tall, very bright, perfectly pleasant, slightly effeminate and squishy and unathletic and may as well have had BULLY ME HARD tattooed across his forehead. Which is (or was; I'm sure he's over it now) all very tragic for him, but actually quite handy for equally bright and unathletic but considerably less lanky and conspicuous types like me (my growth spurt and late-developing interest in contact sport, not to mention beer and girls, was a few years off yet) as we could slink off round the corner to play cricket and leave him to the wolves. Ah, the unthinking atrocities kids inflict on each other on a daily basis.

Other name-dropping while I'm here: I was at Bristol University at the same time as the following people:
  • Kyran Bracken
  • Emily Watson
  • Derren Brown
  • Dominik Diamond
  • Simon Pegg
  • David Walliams
  • Samantha Cameron (wife Of Conservative Party leader and probable seven-foot blood-sucking lizard in human form David Cameron)

No comments: