Monday, April 09, 2007

Masters post-mortem + showbiz lookalikes

Well, not many people (me included) would have predicted Zach Johnson as the 2007 Masters champion, but he was a thoroughly deserving winner in the end. A couple of others could have challenged - Justin Rose was in it up to the 17th but a horrible drive put paid to his chances; Tiger Woods produced a sensational eagle at the 13th, but missed a makeable birdie putt at 14 and was left having to go for the green in two after a pushed drive at 15 and put an almost impossible shot in the water. Retief Goosen played very steadily and but for a couple of putts which refused to drop on 12 and 14 and a bit of appalling luck on 16 - when a tee shot which looked to be in hole-in-one territory stuck at the top of the bank in defiance of the laws of physics - might have nicked it. All in all a very exciting weekend though, and lots of European interest near the top of the leaderboard (Rose, Harrington, Casey, Donald, etc.) - though not actually at the top of the leaderboard, which is the only place that really counts. Just ask Tiger.













More importantly though, anyone watching the antepenultimate pairing of Johnson and Vaughn Taylor going round the course on Sunday must have done a double-take: surely this must be the celebrity pro-am section of the tournament? Otherwise what are Joaquin Phoenix and Matthew Modine doing playing a round of golf together?

3 comments:

The Black Rabbit said...

Nope. Me neither. But then again, I DID have him in my masters fantasy golf team (as 1 of 2 outsiders, alongside Rich Beem) in the Racing Post, so plenny of points picked up there...!

Anyway, whilst Johnson may have won the tournament, I think you'll find he had God as his caddy (and on Easter Sunday 'n' all), which would help a bit, although if it was me, I'd have asked him to turn Rae's Creek into wine...

But wasn't "The game of golf" the true winner? (AGAIN)....

The Black Rabbit said...

By the way, more shocking to me (than St.Johnson's win) was the fact that good ol' Ernie missed the bleedin cut! I know I said on my blog thing that he's spraying his lant, sorry, approach shots, a little these days, but he has been playing pretty solid this year, hasn't missed ANY cut for almost ten years (I think), and both Gary Player and David Leadbetter pre-tournament, said his swing was the best they'd ever seen it?! I thought even with his slightly suspect iron-play at present, Augusta would perk him up as usual, and he'd be a banker top 10 come sunday night?! Shows what I know.
Eh?

Bit disappointed with "burrnharrrd longgehrrr" also, even if he is four biwwion years "young". Even Fuzzy Wuzzy Zoeller made the cut!

And Vijay peed me orf a wee bit too. Threatened for a while then slowly slid back into the jungle...

And if you're wondering what I'm deeing, commenting to your blog at 1am in the morning, I'm at work, bored oota my tiny little mind.

electrichalibut said...

It was Easter Sunday when Langer won in 1993 as well, and there was much a-hosanna-in' and a-testifyin' in the Butler Cabin when the jacket was handed over, what with him being a botherer and all. Luckily his icy demeanour and ruthlessly stiff Teutonic upper lip made it slightly less vomitorious than Johnson's interview, the big blubbering oaf.