One of the reasons that's an absolutely terrible idea is that it's exactly what the Catholic Church has been up to for the past several hundred years, and we're plenty critical, and rightly so, of them for that. More generally it's an unthinking deference to authority of exactly the sort that we're trying to argue for doing away with.
So when stuff like the following, involving major figures in the sceptical/rationalist/atheist community happens:
- Dawkins' general arsehattery
- Harris' sexism and subsequent belligerent refusal to acknowledge it
- Penn Jillette's generally being a belligerent idiot
- Christopher Hitchens' assertion that women just aren't funny
- Michael Shermer's disturbing history of inappropriate sexual behaviour at atheist gatherings
- Neil deGrasse Tyson making up quotes
This Buzzfeed article by Mark Oppenheimer gives a good potted history of all the atheism vs. feminism issues that's probably more comprehensive than mine.