Saturday, January 21, 2012

they have websites for EVERYTHING nowadays

Here's a couple of amusing items I've snapped on my handy phone-camera recently. Firstly I strayed into Clas Ohlson in the shiny new St. David's Centre in Cardiff back before Christmas - it's a sort of low-rent IKEA with more gadgety stuff and less ridiculously-named furniture. Anyway, I found myself in front of a display of electronic gadgetry and spotted this:


Yes, that's right, it's an AsaKlitt PedoMeter. I know, I know, it's puerile schoolboy humour, but that's what you come here for. Just in case it's not clear enough, here's a zoomed-in version:


Useful to have some sort of scientific method of detection, though, as otherwise all sorts of confusion can occur. As an aside, I hadn't realised that the paediatrician who was mistaken for a paedophile by a bunch of vigilante numbskulls lived just outside Newport (not any more, though, I'm pretty sure).

Then, just last week, back in the seemingly safe and surprise-free environment of the office, I acquired a new stapler, which bore, on close inspection, a rather disturbing legend:


Again, here's the relevant bit for the hard of seeing:


Now I assume that actually Rapesco is meant to be pronounced as three syllables, with the emphasis on the second, i.e. to rhyme with UNESCO, and that they are of mid-European origin, maybe Italian (the website is a bit cagey about their country of origin). That's not how it reads at first glance to a native English speaker, though.

It would be remiss of me not to link at this point to the classic list of unintentionally funny company URLs; Rapesco would slot in quite well next to Therapist Finder (which you'll notice now redirects to a more innocuous URL).

I didn't think to snap the amusing shelf logo in front of the WD-40 display when I was in B&Q last weekend, so you'll have to take my word for it that it mirrored the online product page by saying AEROSOL LUBRICANT in big letters, at which point I was reminded of the immortal Not The Nine O'Clock News Swedish chemist sketch.

No comments: