Wednesday, February 27, 2008

more brainfarts

Another couple in the Hapag-Lloyd vein for you:

BBC crime correspondent Ben Ando has been popping up on the TV news a bit lately. I can't hear his name without humming Abba's Fernando to myself: "...there was something in the air that night, the stars were bright, Ben Ando". If only he was the astronomy correspondent it would be perfect.

Speaking of Fernando, the second verse, which goes like this:
They were closer now Fernando
Every hour every minute seemed to last eternally
I was so afraid Fernando
We were young and full of life and none of us prepared to die
And I'm not ashamed to say
The roar of guns and cannons almost made me cry
- reminds me of JG Ballard's short story The Garden Of Time, available in various collections over the years, most recently the very-nearly-comprehensive collection The Complete Short Stories. You really should get hold of this, if only so that you can read the story and see what I mean.

And finally, Esther, Indian fast bowling prospect Ishant Sharma has a name that will have you humming John Lennon songs to yourself: "Ishant Sharma's gonna get you - gonna knock you right on the head.....".

No comments: