Tuesday, July 21, 2026

oh for fox sake

I'd started writing the previous post a few days before I eventually hit the "publish" button, but if I'd been paying more attention when I eventually did so I'd have noticed that there were goings-on at the Open Championship on that day that warranted my attention, in particular the rounds of Lucas Herbert and Sam Burns, completed within about half an hour of each other on Friday afternoon.

There is something to be said for a pause for reflection before steaming in with the old size nines and whacking out a blog post, though, because if I'd done one there and then, or tacked that stuff onto the end of the other post, I'd have found myself having to do another one only a day or so later when eventual champion Ryan Fox posted his own round of 62 on Saturday. 

PlayerTournamentYearRoundResultWinner
Branden GraceOpen2017thirdtied 6thJordan Spieth
Rickie FowlerUS Open2023firsttied 5thWyndham Clark
Xander SchauffeleUS Open2023firsttied 10thWyndham Clark
Xander SchauffeleUSPGA2024firstWONXander Schauffele
Shane LowryUSPGA2024thirdtied 6thXander Schauffele
Lucas HerbertOpen2026secondtied 6thRyan Fox
Sam BurnsOpen2026second3rdRyan Fox
Ryan FoxOpen2026thirdWONRyan Fox

A few supplementary notes: the three 62s were achieved in three different ways: Herbert had a five-footer for a par and a 61 which he missed, Burns holed out from a bunker for a birdie, and Fox had a putt from 50 feet or so for a birdie and a 61 which he missed but knocked in the subsequent one for a par. Fox's last-hole birdie for victory the following day means that two of the eight 62s have resulted in a victory (the other being Xander Schauffele at the USPGA in 2024); that win ratio of 25% is very slightly higher than the equivalent number for the old table of 63s, as that yielded 7 wins out of 31, i.e. 22.58%.

No comments: