Monday, July 31, 2023

CGIlebrity lookeylikey of the day

Over the course of the last couple of weeks I have, for various reasons and in the company of various combinations of my own children, watched both Encanto and Harry Potter And The Prisoner Of Azkaban. A couple of things struck me, in particular the similarity between the characters of Bruno from Encanto and Sirius Black (as portrayed by Gary Oldman) from the Harry Potter movie. Firstly there is the similarity in appearance - long dark wavy hair, straggly facial hair, general air of manic energy - and it's primarily appearance we're interested in here, after all, but they also have broadly similar possibly-evil-to-chaotic-but-basically-good character arcs, and are of course both in possession of magical powers.

Secondly, the character of Abuela, Encanto's matriarch and guardian of the magic that keeps the house and community together, has a distinctive look that I couldn't quite put my finger on until I realised that she reminded me of Robert Mitchum.


No comments: