Sunday, November 14, 2010

change down aguirre, man

After the disappointment of seeing Wales fail to batter their way over the line for a match-winning injury-time try against South Africa yesterday, I kicked back for the less stressful task of watching Scotland against New Zealand. I was intrigued as to the story behind the name of All Black wing José Aguirre, though - the sort of Spanish/French combo not really being an obvious name for someone of Maori origin. Perhaps his parents were fans of the great 1970s French full-back Jean-Michel Aguirre? Or maybe they were film buffs and big Werner Herzog fans? Or Spanish Civil War enthusiasts?

Needless to say the actual explanation turns out to more mundane - his name is actually Hosea Gear, younger brother of Rico Gear. How disappointing.

3 comments:

The Black Rabbit said...

Yessss...

I settled back to watch the game at Murrayfield also. But after the first half, I decided my time would be better spent "cleaning the girls out"...

electrichalibut said...

If I didn't know you were referring to the chickens that would sound terribly terribly wrong.

The Black Rabbit said...

Chickens?
Don't know what you mean....